Monday, February 6, 2012

journal 58 what will I do???

I have got to give some credit to the Daily 5 for allowing me the time and energy to work with my nonreader.  He came to me in September not knowing all his letters and barely knowing any of his sounds.  I've had the opportunity to work with him and see the light turn on.  He now knows his letters and his sounds and is starting to master some consonant blends with the help of kindergarten making words.  Every Monday during the daily time, my time has been dedicated to working one on one with him on his blend of the week and watching him identify the real/aileen words.  I realized today while working with him that this will probably be our last Monday working together.  He will now be receiving specialized services as he hasn't made many improvements since the beginning of the year.  But like I said, I have to give credit to the Daily 5 because I don't think that if I had continued to  use the basal and whole group instruction that he would have made any improvements.  He has made improvements but they are very small.  He now knows his letters and sounds on most days but some days he forgets.  I love that this program has given me the time dedicated to working with him and I love that I am confident when I say there's indeed something not right.  But now I wonder what will I do on Mondays???  I know-work with the other 27 kiddos!  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment