Monday, August 5, 2013

To-Do List

3 weeks from today my students come!  YIKES!  Not feeling ready to give up summer lounging-as much as I've done with working at the country club.  I think the thing that worries me about going back to school is just never having a minute to myself.  I'm going to continue working at the club but I have to be more vocal about when I can and can't work.  Anywho-So all the things I have to do has really been keeping me up at night.  Literally.  This happens to me quite often at the beginning of the school year and last night as I lay awake, I was thinking why should this year be any different.  Grr.  So last year I started writing down notes at night about what was bothering me and this year I'm hoping to not have to do that and just write it here. 

My list of to-dos before school starts:

1.  Setup my classroom-This doesn't need much explaining.  However, the building is completely under construction-not on my floor but I am not sure when we'll be let back into the building. 

2.  Decide on what unit I'm going to teach first-Last year I taught Number the Stars first.  Many of the students in their EOY reflection stated that they loved that book so for that reason I want to keep it as my first shared reading.  But, it's a bit lower level than I think this group is coming in.  Last year's group was pretty low so I knew I could get by with it but hmm.  The old 6th grade teacher always started with it I think because it's a classic and because it's an interesting read and grabs everyone's attention and can teach them the procedures and expectations pretty quickly.  With my new schedule of things and doing this as less of a class novel and more of a shared reading I'm hoping this will go a  lot quicker. 

3.  With that being said, I need to update the units of study that I did last year. 

4.  Make all the cute stuff I want to-I need to organize my pinterest boards for what I really want to make and have ready

5.  Decide on my first read aloud

6.  Start my own reading notebook to have as an example

7.  Have a book display ready full of the books Ms. Tomich read this summer.  Yes-I'm thinking I'm going to include my teaching books. 

8.  Have a BOY of the year assessment ready.  I want to try to make one on maybe easy CBM for all the skills that the common core wants sixth graders to do.  Then, I want to take that and use the data for groups. 

That's it for now-not too bad.  I'm sure there will be more to add!

No comments:

Post a Comment