This was the first week of ISAT. We started testing on Wednesday with Math. This is the first time we've done this since I've been at this school. In the past, Reading was first. Of course this makes me more nervous because will it make a difference in my scores? Are students sick of testing? Will that show in the scores? I am just a nervous wreck!
During the week when we had class the kids either works on their culminating project for the Civil Rights unit, read to self, or worked on teenbiz. I've got the challenge up and going in the hallway and they're flying with it! They're so competitive and it just has made me realize that I need to do more of this. I need to push them more with competing against themselves. 2 of my students were the state top scorers during the week! I'm so proud!! I really do hope it's all it's cracked up to be and will help with their scores as much as the other schools that are using it.
Our schedule was pretty unpredictable which doesn't go very well with the group of students I teach. They don't like change and often get in trouble when change happens. We had a few behavior problems this week which is frustrating because some of them I feel are out of my control. So often I don't have huge problems with the kids that are having the most problems and I don't know why. I don't know how to tell my team that without sounding like I'm perfect which is totally not what I think I just think it's a matter of I am a little more strict and don't let certain things like walking around the classroom happen. I don't know. It's been such a struggle being the veteran teacher on the team when I'm still new to the grade level which is so different than the little guys I used to teach. I really love teaching reading and writing all the time. And, I do think I love the grade level. I have genuinely enjoyed it but I just don't know if it's been hard because both my teammates are new too and I'm supposed to be the veteran. I'm not sure.
Another great thing that happened this week was a card that I got from our sped provider. We had a rough start to the year basically because we have such different work ethic and I was used to one type of collaboration of doing things together and she was used to just getting everything provided for her. I was not always the most considerate or positive person but I was just learning verything myself and I felt attacked. Anyways this week she wrote me a card about how glad things have gone and she thinks a lot of it has to do with my hard work I've done this year. It was the perfect time to get it. I have been doubting myself so much lately and everyday I walk in and wonder what is going to go wrong. I'm always trying to stay a step ahead of everything and I feel like I've had no encouragement. I was so thankful that she gave me that. It's almost like she saw my need for it. I'm glad things have improved with us. I'm trying to be greatful for what I have and giving up on being defensive with her was one of the things I decided I would do as the new year started.
Wish me luck for testing next week! It's reading time! Like I told the kids remember-rethink, reread and rephrase! Hopefully I can sleep this weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment